Sunday, July 13, 2008

Later on July 10: Flourish and Blotts

I'm sitting in my room on Sunday evening writing this blog and listening to what are obviously fireworks, maybe getting ready for tomorrow night, the Catorze Julliet (Bastille Day). I'm going to try and figure out how to get downtown to see them, though they are at the Eiffel Tower and begin at 10:45 p.m., which means an interesting time getting back here through the darkey forest.

Anyway, last Thursday, when I left the Eiffel Tower, I got back on the Batobus and headed towards Saint Germain, or the Left Bank district. I passed by the Notre Dame Cathedrale, looking suitably louring in the overcast light.

I got off the Batobus at the Institute of France and headed towards Saint Germain through little streets (they weren't really alleyways, though they looked like it). I spotted this amazing little book store that looked just like it was out Diagon Alley in Harry Potter's world -- a muggle's version of Flourish and Blotts.

In the window was a magical book, very old looking, with a three-dimensional tree growing out of the spine and a figure on the inside. The proprietoress, who wasn't strong on English and I was pretty tired in terms of being articulate in French, told me it was called "Le Roi des Arboles" -- The King of the Trees -- about a little boy who was transformed into a tree. I have to go back and see it again I think. It was very compelling.

After that, I went up the rue a piece and found a shop where I could buy a hat, because the sun can be really strong here. I got a straw fedora kind of chapeau (which I've now discovered flies off in a breeze) and a real French black beret (didn't have a tag with ROC -- Republic of China -- in it, like the others), larger than a military beret, and that I think looks pretty good on me, if I could say so. I also got a new notebook to write in and a glittery, 20's-styled scarf to go with my black velvet skirt.

The proprietor recommended an Italian bistro around the corner, the Ristorante Pepone, for a bon marche (cheap but good) dinner. I had a salade gourmande with Magre fume (smoked ham), un bloc de foie gras and noix (walnuts) over lettuce; for the main course I had a faux filet au gorgonsola (perfectly rare stip loin and vermicelli spaghetti with a gorgonzola cheese sauce, and a mousse au chocolat for dessert -- all for 12.50 Euro, which I thought was a good deal. I also had a of tulipe of champagne, which I don't usually drink, but it cost the same as vin ordinaire, so what the heck.

Across the street was a more Parisien looking crepery, but even though it looked open, no one went in or out.

Afterwards, I caught the Batobus and got off at the Hotel de Ville to catch the Metro and caught a pic of this snooty lion.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love your style, the snooty lion, the champagne for no reason, but what the heck...feels like hanging in Paris with a friend,
Cheers,

Cecelia

Fearless Wildflower said...

Thank you! I seem to be able to feel rather seul here sometimes, even within the amazing set, sounds, and smell. So knowing someone is reading is very cheering. Here's a salut of un pichet du vin rouge a tu.